The People Behind
The Scottish Green Party has had a distinctive presence in the Scottish Parliament since its creation in 1999 with the election of Robin Harper as the first UK Green Parliamentarian.
The party is currently represented in Holyrood by Alison Johnstone, MSP for Lothian, and Patrick Harvie, MSP for Glasgow (pictured below).
We now have more members than ever, and have fourteen councillors elected in 2012 serving on Aberdeenshire, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Midlothian and Stirling councils.
The party is currently co-convened by Patrick Harvie MSP and Cllr Martha Wardrop.
Green successes at Holyrood:
- Millions invested in community projects nationally through the Climate Challenge Fund
- UK’s first Green legislation, tackling hate crimes
- Secured Parliament’s support for youth enterprise
- Helped secure end to tuition fees in Scotland
- Won first UK vote against Trident
- Strengthened climate change legislation
- Switched funding from air routes to bus services
- Won vote against SNP plans for new coal power
- Secured millions for insulation and marine renewables